Design & Technology
At Northlands Primary School, we believe that Design and Technology is a way to stimulate imagination and creativity in every child. It provides interactive, visual and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding a and responding to the world, enabling children to communicate what they see, feel and think through use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
At Northlands Primary School, D&T is a hands on activity, which requires the teacher to be directly involved with the children in the lesson, to set the task, to impart knowledge, to lead activities, to monitor and develop the children’s progress, to encourage development and to ensure that each child reaches an appropriate standard through:
1. Using a variety of approaches that are matched to the activity, and cater for the range of the ability of children.
2. Having the opportunity to examine natural objects, everyday artefacts, historical artefacts.
3. Developing clear links between art and design and computing opportunities.
4. Encouraging children to work individually, in pairs, small groups and as a whole class when required.
5. Encouraging the development of personal and social skills, being fully inclusive and giving equal access for pupils to learning opportunities.
6. Ensuring that issues of Health and Safety are addressed in the planning and delivery of the art curriculum.
As a school we follow the Plan Bee curriculum. Teachers plan and implement the skills through their themes.